When operating in today’s fast-paced supply chains, one hour of inefficiency can result in incalculable losses such as missed sales, shipment delays, data breaches, and maintenance costs. As warehouses continue to automate repetitive tasks such as data entry and order verification, a new issue arises: where do legacy systems fit in modernized warehouse operations? Legacy devices may seem more comfortable at face value due to their familiarity; however, their complex workflows may enable costly downtime.
In the transportation and logistics industry, where over 40% of businesses still rely on paper-and-pencil manual data entry, legacy systems have been directly linked to as much as 14 hours of downtime per worker, per month, worldwide. Unable to support remote device management or real-time connectivity, incapacitated legacy systems can bring operations to a grinding halt. To undo these issues, modern mobility and visibility systems like the ones built with Zebra’s next-generation technologies can harness competitive benefits such as:
- Simplified enterprise-grade interfaces – Legacy systems tend to be preferred solely on their familiarity. Employee training and long adoption rates can be costly. That’s why Android’s enterprise-ready operating systems retain the ease-of-use of a consumer-grade touchscreen interface on a purpose-built device to lower onboarding time. Furthermore, Zebra’s All-Touch Terminal Emulation app can convert TE green screens into a touchscreen interface right out of the box to further minimize training times.
- Minimized additional hardware – Newer devices such as Zebra’s MC9300 streamline several crucial workflows within one platform, enabling workers to scan and process data while updating databases and teams in real-time without any manual data entry. Mobile devices with embedded push-to-talk capabilities can further simplify workflows by eliminating the need for extra bulky two-way radios.
- Expanded device functionality – Lastly, Android’s open application ecosystem facilitates new application deployment to expand your device’s functionality without too many backend modifications. For example, Zebra’s MobilityDNA apps enable remote battery management, device tracking, simultaneous barcode data capture, and independent troubleshooting for maximized uptime all through one device.
And, with the GO Zebra Trade-In Program, you can add cash back rebates to the list.
Further amplify modernization benefits when you upgrade legacy systems through the GO Zebra Trade-In Program. Between now and December 31st, your upgrades qualify for cash back rebates up to $650 per device when you follow these three steps:
- Purchase your eligible device
- Submit a claim form within 90 days of your invoice date
- Trade in devices from any manufacturer for cash rebates
In our commitment to innovative efficiency, we strive to eliminate all unnecessary complexities from your modernization strategy. Contact an Avalon automation expert to explore a customized optimization plan that matches your needs and preserves familiarity for minimal disruptions.