With so many technological breakthroughs now available in various devices, businesses may struggle in selecting a mobility solution that best suits their unique needs. For example, while newer mobile computers can easily integrate RFID data capture and freezer-ready touchscreens, these benefits are not always necessary for workflows like order verification and storefront management. When devices don’t appropriately match business needs, the results often include:
- Increased adoption rates since technologies may be too complicated
- Workflow delays and bottlenecks
- Lower ROI than expected due to wasteful labor
- Complex maintenance schedules and increased IT involvement
- More worker stress that hinders productive engagement
To prevent these issues from harming workflows, the following questions should be considered when selecting modernized hardware.
- Will it be scalable to accommodate eventual change? – Changes in demand and labor availability mean new devices should be easy to grasp and scalable to different workforce sizes. That’s why Android’s enterprise-ready OS has overtaken most modernization strategies since its open app ecosystem allows for seamless integration of new applications without too many backend changes.
- Does it prioritize easy user adoption? – Touchscreen devices straying away from traditional TE interfaces can facilitate onboarding for a younger workforce that may be unfamiliar with green-screen applications. Moreover, simplistic ergonomics may also ease adoption since usage can be tailored to the employee’s preference and workflow requirements.
- Has it been tested for non-stop performance in environments like your workflow? – To truly earn the “enterprise-grade” title, devices should be thoroughly crafted to sustain drops, tumbles, extreme temperatures, and condensation since these aspects often mark most supply chain operations. In addition to higher durability standards, devices should also contain longer battery life cycles compared to consumer-grade devices. For example, Datalogic’s Skorpio mobile computers decrease maintenance times with hot swappable batteries and wireless charging, thus protecting unbroken productivity.
- Does it protect effective data sharing? – Lastly, as cyberattacks become ever more prevalent, effective data security backed by recurrent OS updates and patches can prevent damaging breaches and data leaks. Moreover, when devices are easy to use, there are less risks of accidental leaks from improper device usage.
With these questions in mind, businesses can best narrow down hardware options that support a mobility solution centered on your needs. For workflows that are ever changing, such as e-commerce order fulfillment and food storage, adaptable devices like Datalogic’s Skorpio handheld computers offer maximized flexibility and ease-of-use for fast deployment.
Modernized mobility can take many forms. Discover one that best fits your operations when you schedule a preliminary assessment with Avalon to investigate optimization opportunities in your workflows.